Revolutionizing the way in which world connects, Email has come a long way since it got introduced. The same goes for instant messaging which acts as a real-time platform to connect with a person from any corner of the planet. Both of these facilitate a lot of other activities besides merely making you stay connected. With increased usage and with more number of people using it to store data and files, there has been a constant rise in terms of threats from online scams, phishing, spam and other forms of online threats. In order to secure your email and stay protected, the following 10 tips can be pretty handy:
- Install robust security software: Having security software that has additional features to let you remain safe while browsing the web is a must. They would not only protect you from worms, Trojans, spam emails, or viruses but also warn you against phishing scams and malicious emails. Another thing that most of the reputed software comes with is the aspect of the firewall. It monitors your internet connectivity and keeps all forms of unwanted traffic away from the computer. Lastly, it is always recommended that you keep the software updated. ‘
- Give your email to trusted sources only: Sharing your email with almost everybody you come across is not a nice idea. It is only your close family members, friends and business contacts with who you should be sharing it. Additionally, refrain from posting your email over forums, websites or even chat rooms. If you do any of these, you are at the risk of receiving spam or getting your email across to someone who might just hack it. For subscribing to newsletters or other updates from your favorite websites, make sure you use a generic email id and not the one that has all the links to your personal and important information.
- Download attachments received from only known sources: Make sure you do not open attachments from almost everybody you get a mail from. An attachment should only be open or downloaded on your computer when received from your family, friends or business associates. There is every possibility that an email from an unknown source may contain an attachment that contains worms, viruses, or Trojan.
- Smartly use the IM programs: IM programs can be great when you wish to communicate with your friends and family. Not only is it cheap but offers you an instant platform to stay connected. Using a nickname while using the IM is something you should always be doing. Moreover, be smart when it comes to sharing of your personal info over any of your favorite IMs.
- Stay aware of phishing scams: Fraudulent emails or fake websites that promise to be legitimate businesses lures customers to reveal private details like login credentials or credit card numbers. In a scenario where you receive an email that contains a link an unknown site, make sure that you do not click it. It is a better idea to use google to search the name of the business and access it through the obtained results.
- Make a wise use of your email account: Even though you have all the tools to let you remain safe, your friends and family might not be having the same level of protection. Hence, it would be better to use the email wisely and not send Social Security Number or credit card details over an email.
- Create a complicated email id: Creating an email id that is too complex when read makes it difficult for the hackers to auto-generate the email id or send spam emails. However, this should be something that you can easily remember. A combination of letters and numbers to create an email id is the best idea.
- Use strong passwords: Passwords are the key to access your email. Hence, use a password which is smart and strong. Using the combination of letters and numbers with some being capital and small is always recommended.